Thursday, July 29, 2010

Artest Asks Artest

 ESPN asked Ron Artest to be editor-in-chief for the latest issue of their magazine. Editor Artest decided the magazine should feature Ron Artest in a conversation with Ron Artest. Ron asking questions. Ron giving answers. Here's highlights from the interview.
- Phil Jackson is the only person these days who can truly get under my skin. And he gets under my skin 80% of the time. Phil totally controls me. In practice, he'll always joke about me and bother me, saying stuff about my shoes or whatever. All season, he'd say, "Ron can't shoot." But after Game 4 of the Finals, when we were tied at two, he changed his tune. He came to me and said, "Ron, I need you to play your game. You have to make plays." Oh, man. I was so happy! What happened? I made plays. When my coach and my teammates are behind me, there's nothing you can do to stop me.
- I don't care about (the spotlight) anymore. I've totally sacrificed my ego. And what happens? God is giving me everything. Look, I'm editor in chief of this magazine. And God blessed me with a ring. Don't get me wrong, the spotlight is nice, but winning puts you in the spotlight.
- I want to be a coach, bad. I'd love to coach the Knicks or St. John's, but I'd go anywhere. I want to coach immediately after I retire. I'd be good for a bunch of reasons. I know the little things, like how important spacing is. I also understand how to deal with players. And, of course I know defense. It's not just physical. It's more than that. How do I get through a playoff game with only one foul, as physical as I am? It's all about knowledge. I know every player's moves and tendencies. I know exactly where all 10 guys on the court are supposed to be, and when. I'm 100% sure this coaching thing will work. All I need is a good staff and to watch more tape.
- Let's not forget about Céline Dion. That woman is unbelievable. You know how much I love my music? Well, I wouldn't put out a song for 10 years if that meant I could put out a song with her. Her voice sounds like pure fresh air. It sounds like what it sounded like when the world was created."
- My secret weapon is spin class. It's crazy. My first time there, I'm like, 'What the hell is this? A bunch of girls and old people on bikes? Easy." So I get on the bike, and within 10 minutes I wanted to quit. But I can't when these girls are hardly sweating. Can't quit. So I kept going. When it's over, I've got a pool of sweat under me. I've never done anything so hard in my life."

    






No comments:

Post a Comment