Thursday, September 8, 2011

Miley Cyrus ::Talks About "Disney Star" Image

Miley Cyrus, most famous for her title role in the Disney Channel series "Hannah Montana," has once again addressed critics of her off-screen behavior, adding that she looks up to "Bad Reputation" punk rocker Joan Jett.Miley Cyrus, 18 and known for pop songs such as "Can't Be Tamed," made her comments about Jett, 52, in an interview published in the September 2011 issue of V magazine.
"People see me as this perfect Disney star, and the moment I put out a record that says 'I'm not 11 years old anymore,' people look down on me," Cyrus told Jett, according to People magazine. "That's why I have always looked up [to] you. When you came out, people were shocked that there was a chick that wanted to rock as hard as the guys."
"I love that you never apologized for who you were," Cyrus added. "It's something I had to learn. I'm sick of feeling as if I owe someone an apology for being who I am."
Jett was most popular in the 1980s and spurred hits such as "I Love Rock n' Roll" and "Bad Reputation," the theme song of the short-lived comedy series "Freaks and Geeks." Jett was portrayed by "Twilight" actress Kristen Stewart in the 2010 film "The Runaways," which was based on the rocker's former all-girl band.
People quoted Jett as telling Cyrus in the V interview: "I was thinking to myself ... how difficult it must be to lead your life as a teenager with the paparazzi and the amount of press you're surrounded by. "I thought to myself, 'Wow that was kind of a blessing that we didn't have that stuff when I was growing up in The Runaways.'"
Cyrus began her acting career when she was 8 and rose to fame with her role on "Hannah Montana," which ended earlier this year after four seasons.
Cyrus said last year she had outgrown "Hannah Montana" and began raising eyebrows when she showcased a more mature image in performances and music videos.
Cyrus has debuted several tattoos and in July, showed off new ink - an equal sign on her ring finger, which may symbolize her support of marriage equality. The singer has even found a fan in 45-year-old troubled actor Charlie Sheen, who was famously fired from the CBS sitcom "Two and a Half Men" earlier this year.
One of Cyrus' most criticized incidents came in December 2010, when a TMZ video showed her smoking the hallucinogenic herb salvia out of a bong and swearing and laughing. Salvia is legal in California.
Cyrus addressed the clip months later, telling Marie Claire magazine: "I'm not perfect. I made a mistake. I'm disappointed in myself for disappointing my fans. So for me it was a bad decision, because of my fans and because of what I stand for."
Kelly Osbourne, rocker Ozzy Osbourne's daughter who stars with Cyrus in the upcoming film "So Undercover," defended the singer and actress after the video was published.
During the past year, Cyrus has also had to deal with her parents' near-divorce. Her father and "Hannah Montana" co-star, Billy Ray, and mother Tish announced their plans to end their 17-year marriage in October 2010. In February of this year, Cyrus' father told GQ magazine that "Hannah Montana" "destroyed" his family.
He later called off his divorce and addressed his remarks in an interview on the ABC show "The View" in March, saying: "I don't think Hannah Montana ruined my family. "Now fame, fame is a different animal. You've got to be careful with that thing."



Watch Miley Cyrus video ::

No comments:

Post a Comment